Our Young Digital Innovators work in various industries and organisations. During one of our innovation projects, we worked for RAI Amsterdam, the most important convention centre in the Netherlands. We were part of RAI’s Innovation team, which had a leading role in guiding the business teams towards a more innovative way of working and thinking.
The challenge at hand
RAI wanted to be able to successfully launch new propositions to ensure the long-term relevance of the organization. However, the business teams within RAI felt they were too busy with their day-to-day business activities to focus on innovation. To change this, the management team set up a central innovation team to support the business in executing its innovation roadmap. The innovation team was responsible for gathering innovative ideas from the organization and supporting the business in the validation and execution of these ideas.
Two of our Young Digital Innovators were added to this team in the role of Business Incubator. We had 2 goals: (1) create and implement an innovation training program for internal employees and (2) coach and support business teams that work on innovative propositions and make sure they have the right mindset, tools & skills to succeed.
For the first goal, we set up a program to inspire and train more than 200+ employees in their digital innovation skills. For the second goal, our Young Digital Innovator created an innovation framework and coached various teams towards validating their business propositions. This process and framework allowed RAI employees to understand and execute the 4 steps of the innovation process:
- Discover your customers needs and problem
- Validate the fit of your solution to their problem
- Finding product-market fit
- Scaling your proposition
By implementing this framework, we enabled our client to learn and grow in a continuous loop and to be able to execute this process themselves.
Overall, in a period of +/- 9 months, we were able to achieve the following:
- Developed and implemented Innovation process framework
- Trained 200+ employees of the RAI in digital skills and the innovation process
- Coached 3 teams in the innovation process, which resulted in:
- Validation of using an AI tool to visualize the RAI venue for potential new customers. This resulted in a quicker closing of sales deals and more interest from potential customers.
- Start of using new revenue channels for the Negenmaandenbeurs by starting new acquisition channels like Wehkamp as affiliate marketing partners. This resulted in an increase in brand awareness and sales for the Negenmaandenbeurs.